The official app & game
Distributed by ApkOnline
Run this app named Rockd or download it using ApkOnline. You can do it using our Android online emulator.
Explore, learn about, and document your geologic surroundings! Whether you are a professional geoscientist or curious about the rocks around you and the stories they tell, Rockd allows you to explore and learn about the geologic record, contribute your own observations, and log your journey through the geologic record.
- Instant access to geologic and geographic summaries of your current location via a Dashboard
- Interactive global access to more than 140 geologic maps, with more being added weekly
- See your past location and explore paleogeographic maps from C.R. Scotese and GPlates
- Explore published literature containing mentions of mapped geologic units (when available) via GeoDeepDive
- Elevation data for most points on Earth from SRTM, GMTED, NED and ETOPO1
- Add your own field observations even offline; tag features from Macrostrat and the Paleobiology Database
- Record strike/dip or trend/plunge for geologic features, using your phone's compass
- Track your progress through the geologic record privately, or share it with others
- See the public activity of other users and share your own and other public checkins using unique URLs
Rockd is produced by the Macrostrat lab in the Department of Geoscience at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Support provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Dept. of Geoscience.
Experiencing issues? Send an email to email@example.com and we will do our best to help you resolve it.
Run or download Rockd using our android online emulator from ApkOnline.net
Developer: UW Macrostrat
App version: 2.6.0
App size: 65M
Recent changes: 2.6.0
+ Curious what kind of fossils are nearby? New taxa summary on the dashboard provides insight using the Paleobiology Database
+ Bug fixes
I keep my GPS turned off, and this app keeps trying to access my location about 1-2 times/second in the background, even after telling the system not to ask again. This makes the whole app respond extremely slowly (if at all) to my inputs, and the map is pretty much unusable unless I am willing to wait 5 minutes each time I want to learn something new.
Impressive! This app isn't a reference, it's a tool. All the maps and profiles you need to explore an area are right here, with even a Brunton compass!
LOVE THIS APP!!! It makes being a passenger on road trips infinitely more interesting. It helps me suss out potential fossil collecting sites, locally, by formation. It's so easy to spend hours on!
I've just downloaded and read all the info in this app. It looks like it will be not only enlightening and helpful in my learning about my local rocks and geography, but just plain fun. It's an app developed and produced by people who appear to know what they are doing and talking about. I'm looking forward to using it this very weekend. I will post more about it and adjust my rating as needed through out my user experience with ROCKD. Sorry I can't donate I'm currently unemployed, at this t
UPDATE: The map in version 2.6.0 is still NOT working!!! Map is completely dysfunctional. A blank layer with only the street names pushing itself in front of both satellite and bedrock layer. Doesn't make a difference whether logged in or not. Tried reinstalling, useless! When is this going to be addressed??? I would really like to use this app."